Painting boxes is a joyful and easiest way to jazz them up in less time. You only need a set of acrylic colors and a clear varnish. Paint the outer side of box and the lid with a base coat of any light color. Colors like rose pink, lavender or beige will look elegant, also take darker shades and beautify the box with artistic strokes.
- For this simple project, you need a collection of stamps. Cut each stamp perfectly following its border using a craft knife. This will give a nice finish to the stamp decoupage.
- Now apply a coat of PVA glue on the outer side of the lid of the box. Take water in a bowl and a pair of tweezers as well.
- Lift a stamp using the tweezers, dip it in water, and immediately place it on the glue coated lid. Smooth it out in place with a brush.
- Now take the next stamp and follow the same procedure. Let the stamps overlap slightly. Once the outer side of the lid is done, work on the box in the similar way.
- Once dried, apply a coat of clear varnish or PVA glue to give a finishing touch to this artwork. You can choose to paint the box plain and have a decorative decoupage lid.
- Apart from the one mentioned here, you can come up with a number of decoupage ideas for decorating the boxes.
Grace with Fancy Fabric:
You can opt for this idea when you have to work on a number of pieces, as the procedure is much simpler and helps you create extremely wonderful looking boxes. You can use fancy cotton, raw silk or cotton silk fabrics for this project.
Take a nice decorative piece of fabric, either plain or printed. One with polka dots or other all-over prints looks catchy. For a plain fabric, use separate golden border or lace to further play up the box. Size of the cloth depends on the dimensions of the box. Remember to wrap the fabric neatly over the box and its lid as well.
The sides, base and at least 1-2 inches of the insides must be covered with fabric. Prefer covering the lid from outside as well as the inside using fabric. You can use craft glue and staples to secure the fabric to the box. Attractive lace borders can beautify the lids.Tie a satin or metallic ribbon bow on the box lid to give it a perfect finishing touch.
If you look around, you will come across a lot of unused boxes that you can decorate and make them apt to be gifted or used for storing your items. Yes, these make extremely decorative boxes to store lightweight items in. These can also be used as art decor pieces to beautify side tables and shelves.