Sand is defined in the dictionary as, 'A loose material consisting of grains of rock or coral'. It is found near beaches and in deserts. Its natural colors are white, light brown, dark brown, green (dark to black), and even deep yellow. These naturally occurring colors are due to the presence of different minerals in it. Creative minds love to experiment with colored sand. Children can create mesmerizing crafts using it. There are many craft stores that sell it too. However, wouldn't it be more fun, if you could make it on your own?
- Fill half a bowl with sand. Pour water into the bowl till it covers all the particles.
- Add a generous amount of your favorite food color to this mixture. Stir with a spoon. Keep it aside for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Once it reaches the desired shade, pour the excess water out, and dry the sand on a towel.
- Once it has dried, fill it up in jar bottles using separate bottles for each color. Keep shaking the jars from time to time or the sand may turn to a solid hard mass.
- It is thus ready to use, as per your craft.
This simple yet multipurpose craft material can be used to make paintings, sculptures,vases, and various other art forms. It is used in the beautiful and unique matrimony ceremonies of Hawaii. The Native Americans of the tribe Navajo Indian create the most creative traditional paintings by coloring it.
Steps to Color Sand
Stored Colored Sand in Bottle
Painting Using Colored Sand
Sand painting is a very easy art. All you need to do is trace a design on a piece of paper or cardboard. Apply clear glue to the various parts of the design. Sprinkle colored sand over the glue till it fills up the background. Allow it to dry, then reverse the design on a rough newspaper to remove the excess particles. The sand will stick only to the places where glue is applied. Continue painting the design in the same manner using color sand. You can also apply a coat of water colors over it to make the painting more bright. Finally apply a coat of varnish. With the last step over, your painting is ready!
So, now you have learned to color sand and the different ways to use it. It is a delightful hobby that will keep your kids and you busy for hours. Go ahead, have fun sand painting a Picasso with your kids.