Felt flowers are becoming quite popular not just because they look attractive but also due to the ease with which they can be made and their use in a variety of accessories. Felt fabric comes in vibrant colors, so flowers made from this material if added or glued to any object or artifact can enhance its aesthetic value.
You can make a bouquet of felt flowers, and place it on your desk at work or use it as a centerpiece on your dinner table. These flowers can even be used to decorate your bags, headbands, and various other accessories. They are colorful, interesting, and fun to make. Once you learn to make these, you will definitely fall in love with them and would want to make them for every occasion.
Making Felt Flowers
Here is a quick and easy method to make felt flowers for hair accessories like headbands or hairpins and bouquets or brooches.
Steps for Making Felt Flowers
You will need...
- Felt fabric
- A decorative button
- An alligator hair clip or headband
- Cut the felt fabric in to six large petals of around an inch wide (broad at the top and narrow towards the bottom) and six small petals just a little less than an inch.
- Pinch the base of each petal and secure it with glue.
- Cut a small circle out from the felt fabric. Glue the large petals on to the circle to form the shape of a flower.
- After this has dried, glue the smaller petals on top of the larger petals to make it look like a whorl of petals in real flowers.
- Glue the button on to the center, and the felt flower for your cute headband is ready!
- For hair clips, follow the same procedure. All you have to do is glue the flower on to the hair clip. You may want to consider altering the size of your petals if you use it for smaller hair clips.
Felt Flower Bouquet
You will need...
- Felt fabric (different colors since it is a bouquet)
- Green wire for stems and leaves
- Needle and thread or fabric glue
- Decorative buttons or beads
- You can trace flower petal shapes of different sizes and shapes on the felt, and cut it accordingly.
- Remember to keep the size of petals between 1-5 inches.
- At least sic petals of uniform size for each flower must be cut.
- The petals can be sewn or glued at the center.
- You can make different designs by using different colored petals in the same flower or changing the shape of petals for each flower.
- You can also sew the button or bead at the center of each flower.
- Cut two small holes next to each other in the center, on the back side of the flower, just big enough for the wire to fit in.
- Once your flower is ready, push one end of the green wire through one hole and take it out of the other.
- Twist the two ends together to form the stem.
- You can also secure leaves in these stems while twisting. Green felt paper can be used to make the foliage.
- Your felt flower bouquet is ready to be placed in a lovely vase without worrying about the flowers wilting and dying off!
This is one of the easy crafts for kids, which they are sure to enjoy. These flowers will make a perfect gift for special occasions, such as birthday's or Mother's day, and will prove to be a fun activity for kids as well as their parents.