Pop up cards have always been favorite gifts for birthday, anniversaries, and many other occasions. These are three dimensional structures that pop up on opening the card. The article will guide you on how to make pop up cards.
Pop up greeting cards are easy to make and there are a variety of patterns that can be made. If you are creative and wish to try your hand in art and crafts, here are some instructions on how to make different types of pop up cards
- Take a colored card and cut it into a rectangular shape.
- Fold the card into half after marking the center.
- Find the midpoint of the folded side. Mark two points at either sides of this midpoint at 2 cm.
- From these points, make cuts of 2 cms each.
- Now, push the cut portion inside the card to form a step-like structure or flap.
- Prepare a small cutout of the picture that you want to pop up on opening the card. The picture can be an image of a cake, flowers, or gifts.
- Stick this cut out on the lower portion of the flap you just formed.
- Decorate the remaining portion of the card.
- Take a rectangular card paper and fold it into half.
- Find the center of the folded side and make a cut 5 cm inside the card.
- Two flaps will be formed near the cut. Fold these to form two triangles.
- Open the card and lay down to open the pop up in a V shape.
- Lift the triangles and pinch their edges to form a beak-like structure.
- Close the card and fold the triangles properly inside the card.
- Take a rectangular card of same dimensions, but of a different color.
- Stick this card above your previous card. You can view the color of the new card through the mouth you made in the previous card.
- Draw a face of an animal/bird or your favorite cartoon character around the mouth and decorate the card.
- Take a photograph that is large enough to prepare a card. Otherwise, you can use two photographs with similar background and stick them on a card paper.
- Cut out photos of the objects you want to pop up in front of the background photo that you have used. Keep these cut outs aside.
- Now, fold the background photograph into half and make four parallel cuts at a distance of 3 cm from each other. You can cut a pair of cuts that are deeper than the other.
- Fold the cuts and push them inside the card to form flaps or steps as in the simple pop up card.
- Stick the photograph cut outs on these flaps.
- If you have cut a flap deeper, the cut out stuck on that flap will appear ahead than the other cut out.
- The pop up card is ready. Decorate it with a color scheme suitable to the photograph used.
- For example, you can use a background photograph with a scenery, and the cut outs of animals as objects that will pop up so that it gives the effect of the animals standing in the scenery.
- Take a rectangular red-colored card and fold it into half.
- Mark a half heart shape on the outer part of the folded card in a way such that when you open the card, you can see a full heart shape on the outer side.
- Now, fold the card and cut properly through the edges of the heart shape. Do not cut the heart shape completely. Leave the edge near the upper part of heart uncut.
- Open the card, and the heart will pop up.
- Take a card paper of similar size and different color, and use it to cover the red card paper from outside.
- You can glue the photograph of your loved one on the heart and decorate your card.
It is always easy to buy pop up cards from gift shops for birthdays, Christmas, anniversaries, and for other festive occasions or to convey your Get Well Soon wishes. However, you can add a personal touch to your gifts by making a pop card by yourself. Now that you know how to make these cards, use your creativity and make some that can be gifted to your near and dear ones.